I've been on a crockpot kick lately.
It makes cooking so much easier!
I made this recipe up last week. We then went to a class on base that went an hour longer than it was supposed to. When we got home, the noodles were twice their size and the sauce had evaporated!!!
It was still amazingly tasty.
So I decided to make it again this past weekend so I could take some pictures and get it on the blog.
I made it Sunday afternoon when Ryan had friends over for the Giants game. They were so sad there wasn't seconds.
Cheesy - Pumpkiny - Savory - Sausagey
I know you could probably get away with just pouring the mixture over cooked pasta to skip the crockpot if need be...BUT I am telling you, the hours in the crockpot are really worth it for the amazing flavor you get from waiting!
Cheesy Pumpkin Sausage Pasta (serves 4)
- 16oz hot turkey sausage
- 1 cup frozen chopped onion
- 13.25oz can sliced mushrooms
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 15oz can of pure pumpkin
- 8oz 1/3 less fat cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon sage
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 box rotini pasta
- In a large skillet, brown the turkey sausage. Add in the onion and mushrooms. Going down the list, add in all of the rest of the ingredients (minus the pasta) and stir until smooth.
- Spray your crockpot with cooking spray. Pour the sauce into the crockpot and cover. Cook on low 3 1/2 - 4 hours.
- Pour in your box of uncooked pasta and stir to coat. Re-cover and cook for 1 additional hour.
You'll love this!
It's seriously on my list of go to comfort foods. It almost reminds me of an adult version of mac and cheese - but kids will love this too!
Whatever you do, don't cook the noodles longer than an hour in the crockpot. Or you'll end up with the same disaster I had the first time!