Don't tell me that doesn't look scrumptious...
I found a recipe in Food Network Magazine, incorporating hummus into your turkey burger to keep it moist.
After trying the recipe once, I adapted it into what your eyes are now feasting on.
I give you:
Turkey Hummus Burgers
Turkey Hummus Burgers (makes 6 burgers)
- 1 cucumber
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried mint
- Olive oil
- 7oz spicy pepper hummus
- 20 oz lean ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- 6 "light" english muffins
- Do this ahead of time: In a sealable container, shred the cucumber with a cheese grater. Add the feta, vinegar, mint and a tablespoon of olive oil. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Stir and then cover and refrigerate for a few hours.
- Mix the turkey, hummus, parsley and coriander in a bowl. Season with pepper. Form the meat into 6 equally sized patties, slightly larger than the english muffin. Cooking the patties will make them shrink a little bit.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add 2 tablespoons of oil and the patties. Cook for 3 minutes per side. Remove the patties from the skillet and transfer to a plate.
- Slice the english muffins in half and toast. Smear a little of the remaining hummus on each english muffin and layer the burger, tomato and some of the cucumber mixture.
These are AMAZING. Even with the spicy hummus, they aren't spicy. Any hummus would work, I'm sure. Whatever you do, don't skip the cucumber mixture. It makes the burger.
We used the english muffins because they are healthier than normal buns and I think taste better. I hate how normal buns have so much - bun.
I served these greek wonders with a side of this:
Yes, those are sweet potato steak fries. So much better than regular ones due to the fact they are wider and, I think, cook better.
Ore-Ida makes the healthiest version. Just put some foil on a pan, drizzle with olive oil and spread out the fries. Drizzle olive oil over the fries and sprinkle with salt, pepper and cayenne pepper. Flip the fries half way through their cooking time.